Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kenya Get Down


Come one, come all: Welcome to the official resurrection of my blog! As is evident, my first attempt at blogging left more than a bit to be desired… however, Round Mbili (two): Kenya Get Down shall now be delivered in full force.

Since I’m sure all are just dying to get the insider scoop on my everyday adventures befriending African buffalo, swimming the entire length of the mile, and achieving the world record for ascending Mt. Kilimanjaro, I intend to maximize your satisfaction by keeping a physical journal during the midst of the action and then posting blog entries when I get a chance (which may, admittedly, not be as timely as you – my, of course, avid follower – would like).

My life as an “mzungu” (literally, Kiswahili for a person who runs in circles; in practice, used to refer to a white person or foreigner) has, indeed, begun. So now for the show…

After a ridiculously long time traveling (left Cincinnati in the afternoon on August 12, and arrived in Nairobi in the morning on August 14), I am now in Kenya! Pete and I met up with our program directors and the other students in our program in the airport, and subsequently consented to have our minds perpetually blown for the next 4 months…

From the airport, we took the program’s bus to the St. Lawrence University (SLU) compound in the suburb of Karen. As we drove along, I began to marvel over the fact that while I had spent countless hours fretting over dropping dead due to malaria or crime or some other stereotypical problem facing Africa, I had not bothered to adequately concern myself with the dangers of transit – aka the roads and the traffic. Drivers in Nairobi are like nothing I’ve ever seen or experienced (bet that makes you feel good, Mom). So… daring, aggressive, and uniquely skilled. Watching the traffic battle along the roads is strangely reminiscent of a carbonated beverage overwhelming your air passages and spewing out of both your nose and your mouth simultaneously as your shake violently with laughter. Yeah. Just like that. Ha. I can only understand that I have completely no understanding of the informal rules that certainly exist and seem to be governing drivers here. But seriously, the question of development and planning of infrastructure in the “developing world” seems to be a very relevant topic in Nairobi. I am perpetually fascinated and amazed by the endless construction and building occurring all around the city. I guess this is what it is like to live in a city that is on its “upswing,” as opposed to one in its “decay.”

On a different note, I have spent a lot of time walking around Karen, enthusiastically shouting “Hujambo”/“Hamjambo” at all individuals/groups of people passing me on the street, in a desperate hope that I will receive some recognition from a Kenyan for my grammatically correct “hu”/”ham” in my greeting. Oh my! The endless pursuit to prove my status as student, opposed to tourist!

Other things that might be informative:
  • There are 20 students in my program – the majority of which are students from SLU. A lot of blondes. Only 3 boys.
  • We are staying at a gated “compound” in Karen. We have a main building with our bedrooms, common area, kitchen, and dining area. We also have a separate building with a classroom and 9 or so computers. Additionally, the program directors and their families have separate houses on the compound.
  • The program staff includes 3 program directors, an amazing cook, a cleaning lady, and a very skilled driver. We also have at least 2 security guards at the gate/patrolling the circumference of the compound at all times. I can’t really decide if that makes me feel more or less safe. Regardless, without question, I feel like a very very very privileged and spoiled mzungu.
  • I have had initial experiences with Nairobi and the bus system. During this exploration, a few other students and I stumbled upon a Christian hiphop concert in Uhuru (Freedom) Park, which is Nairobi’s big urban park.
  • I have explored Karen and Nakumatt (the Kenyan version of Walmart, in terms of merchandise).
  • One night all of the students had a party on the compound, which included drinking Kenyan alcohol, playing drinking games on a pong table painted with the Kenyan flag, and wearing items of traditional Kenyan dress, all while breaking it down to dubstep. Africa, here we are.

In short, I have become quite comfortable in Karen and on the compound. This comfort is about to be totally disturbed, as tomorrow we leave for our rural home stay in the county of Meru, which is located in the Eastern Province. Much more to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment